Jul 8, 2007

Betel Nut, Miso Soup

This week's Mercury has an article written by a local hipster who trips out by chewing some Betel Leaf he bought at an Asian store. The article describes the high as being like marijuana laced Red Bull. I'm not a fan of pot or energy drinks but I'm willing to try something new, so I thought I would seek it out.

(I recently discovered Yerba Mate - a South American drink that is similar to coffee but without the post-coffee crash, if you drink enough it also produces a slight euphoria. I have been drinking it regularly ever since. )

If you have ever watched Bollywood movies you have probably seen people chewing Betel leaf. It makes you salivate heavily, and dyes your spit a blood red. Also it makes you feel like talking. In India it is used as an ice-breaker to start conversations. Interesting.

I went shopping at Fubon. A gigantic Asian Supermarket out on 81st and Stark. It turned out they were out of stock of Betel , although they sometimes carry it. Instead I bought the makings for miso soup. I love the miso I have tried at Sushi joints, so I am pretty excited to be able to make it at home. In Japan it is often eaten for breakfast. The basic ingredient is a spoonful of Dashi ( soybean paste) in simmering water. You can also add seaweed, dried tuna flakes, tofu and basically anything else that you like. So, until I discover a store that does stock Betel leaves, I have the consolation of homemade Miso.

1 comment:

Anthony said...

Dude, I was just thinking of trying to quit coffee and trying something else. My energy has been nil as of late... I may need to check with a doctor actually.